Select one of the links below to learn why Whitby is the Community of Choice for Logistics and Distribution:
Whitby is in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and offers prime access to Canada's largest market of over 6 million people, and 120 million more within a day's drive.
Whitby's established transportation infrastructure facilitates the movement of people and goods throughout the region and beyond.
- Located on Ontario's Highway 401, the major east-west connection with links to Ontario's networks of highways, railways and air services which are fully integrated with the US. View our location map.
- Good access to seven Canada/US highway border crossings
- Less than one hour to Toronto's Pearson International Airport, Toronto Island Airport, Oshawa Municipal Airport and future Pickering Airport which support corporate air travel and federal customs services
- CN and CP mainline rail service
- Local intermodal rail access
- Access to three deep-water ports.
Business costs are lower than most US centres and key competitors. The biggest cost savings include:
- Skilled Labour Costs
- Land Prices and Lease Rates
- Tax Rates
1. Skilled Labour Costs
In KPMG's 2012 survey, The Competitive Alternatives, Canada was ranked the second most cost-effective location among nine established industrial countries studied. Of the G7 countries, Canada had the lowest total labour costs:
- Total costs per employee are lowest in the United Kingdom, Canada and Italy. This result reflects in part the weakness of the euro and the British pound.
- 9% advantage over the US
Sample Wages for Logistics and Distribution Personnel (2015)
|Job Title||Median Wage |
| High Wage |
|General Office Clerks||17.86||29.33||11.25|
|Purchasing Agents & Officers||27.47||42.56||15.00|
Source: Government of Canada (www.workingincanada.gc.ca)
2. Land Prices and Lease Rates
Whitby's industrial land prices and lease rates are lower than in western/northern areas of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
|Industrial Land||$160,000/per acre|
(Source: CBRE, Q4 2014)
|Industrial Lease Rates||$3.01 lease cost/per sq. ft. net|
(Source: CBRE, Q4 2014)
3. Tax Rates
Corporate income tax rates (provincial and federal combined) are lower than any US state, Japan or France. Both the federal and Ontario governments have taken steps to reduce corporate income taxes. Capital taxes were eliminated on July 1, 2010.
Source: Ontario Ministry of Finance and Canada Revenue Agency
The 13% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), introduced in Ontario on July 1, 2010, replaces the federal goods and services tax (GST) and the Provincial Sales Tax (PST). The HST provides tax credits for sales tax paid on many inputs and capital investments, reduces tax compliance costs and taxes that would otherwise have been included in supplier prices.
Whitby has a number of available properties in our industrial and business parks that are suitable for logistics and distribution companies. View featured properties below, or visit eSpaceListings.com for additional property details.